Alliance for Vietnam’s Democracy | Letter of Support
Jun 4, 2023
Dear Dr. Yang,
On June 4, 1989, the world witnessed a painful and tragic event not only for the Chinese people, but also for the whole world right at its dawn of freedom and democracy.
On that day, also known as the “June Fourth Incident,” thousands of unarmed students and civilians were massacred by tanks and machine guns. Blood was spilled for the dream of human rights for the people of mainland China.
On that same day, the Polish people held their first free elections, ushered in a wave of democracy that swept through Eastern Europe and led to the collapse of the Soviet Union. Meanwhile, similar freedoms in China were brutally quelled.
The world has condemned, but not strongly and persistently enough to prevent a totalitarian regime from suppressing a peaceful Chinese people and plotting to spread this inhuman authoritarianism all over the world.
In China and Hongkong, the June Fourth Massacre was covered up by the authorities which sought to erase all traces of the tragic history in the memory of the Chinese people.
In commemoration of the Tiananmen Square Massacre on June 4, 1989, we, the undersigned Vietnamese pro-democracy organizations, urge the international community:
- To not forget the courage of the people, especially the young, who sacrificed their lives for humanity’s yearnings for freedom and self-determination.
- To denounce the barbaric crimes of communism worldwide.
- To clearly recognize the brutal, inhuman nature of communism and the communist authoritarianism that humanity wants to eliminate.
- To condemn the atrocities by the Chinese Communist Party and assist the captive peoples achieve their aspiration for freedom and democracy.
- To diversify our supply chains from China and other communist countries.
With sincere remembrance, we respectfully request.
- Alliance for Vietnam’s Democracy
- Thang Nghia Society
- Vietnamese Nationalist Party
- Viet 2000 Foundation
- Vietnam Democracy Center
- Vietnam Human Rights Day May 11 Organization
- Vietnamese American Republicans of Georgia
- Minh Van Foundation
- Vietnamese Environmental Protection Society
- Interfaith Council of Vietnam
- Buddhist Church of America